#16 by Bob Mollema

€52.00

#16 by Bob Mollema

“The Wandering Fireman”

“North Brabant is rich in sagas and legends, including one about the burning shearer. In this story, the shearer is walking with his sheep on the heath when a hurried carriage passes by. Accidentally, the driver drops a large chest of gold, which the shearer swiftly conceals under a pile of leaves. When the driver returns, he inquires, "Did you see the chest?" The shearer denies any knowledge and adds, "If I possess the chest of money, may I wander through fire for the rest of my life." Miraculously, his "wish" becomes a reality. An illustrative example of this saga can be found in Rijsbergen, Noord Brabant.

I come from Gelderland, a province where sagas and legends have permeated the forests from ancient times to the present day. One legend that has remained ingrained in my memory is the one about the Firemen. These Firemen are typically encountered in ancient, wooded, and heather-strewn areas, much like those in our province. Here, my fascination with these tales took root, and I soon discovered that they are prevalent throughout the Netherlands, sharing many common elements.

It is imperative to acknowledge and preserve these stories. Without preservation, they risk fading into the blue light to which everyone is addicted. In this manner, I aspire to infuse a touch of red light into the world through the medium of blue screens”.

Available in two formats:

  • A2 (42x59.4 cm), giclée limited edition print (100 pieces)
  • 30x40 cm

Printed on 250gsm satin paper, embossed with "The Brabanter" logo.